Cyber security Network Specialist
- Newberry Group
- White Hall, OH
- January 31, 2020
- Save for later
In this role, the Cybersecurity Specialist will perform incident investigation to include analyzing threat intelligence, correlating actionable security events, and reviewing network traffic alerts to identify compromises in DoD customer networks or hosts.
Who We Are…
Today’s leading government agencies and commercial organizations are putting their trust in Newberry Group, and for good reason. As one of the few employee-owned IT firms in the United States, the strength of our company is a direct reflection of our employee owners.
Newberry brings strength to our clients, from the inside out through:
- Client intimacy and superior quality;
- Presence and accountability in our relationships; and,
- Cross-sector leverage of public and commercial sector best practices.
Newberry Group is a nationwide IT company providing program and management consulting, in addition to commercial IT managed services and support.
The Cybersecurity Network Specialist will support our Department of Defense networks 24/7/365 in Columbus, OH. In this role, the Cybersecurity Specialist will perform incident investigation to include analyzing threat intelligence, correlating actionable security events, and reviewing network traffic alerts to identify compromises in DoD customer networks or hosts. This position will utilize alerts from endpoints, IDS/IPS, netflow, and custom sensors to identify compromises on customer networks/endpoints. The Cybersecurity Specialist will review massive log files, pivot between data sets, and provide evidence for incident investigations. This role will report to the Network Assurance Center Site Lead.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Review DoD and open source intelligence for threats
- Identify Indicators of Compromise (IOCs) and integrate those into sensors and SIEMs.
- Triage alerts to identify malicious actors on customer networks.
- Report incidents to customers and USCYBERCOM.
Basic Qualifications and Skills Required
- Active Top Secret clearance with ability to obtain a TS/SCI.
- BS and 4+ years of prior relevant experience (4+ years of related experience may be substituted in lieu of degree)
- Existing 8570 IAT II Certification (Security+ CE, CISSP or equivalent)
- Demonstrated understanding of TCP/IP, common networking ports and protocols, traffic flow, system administration, OSI model, defense-in-depth and common security elements.
- Knowledge of malware and other threats targeting large government enterprises.
- Demonstrated commitment to training, self-study and maintaining proficiency in the technical cyber security domain.
- Willing to perform shift work.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- CND experience (Protect, Detect, Respond and Sustain) within a Computer Incident Response organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of the life cycle of network threats, attacks, attack vectors and methods of exploitation with an understanding of intrusion set tactics, techniques and procedures (TTPs).
- Advanced understanding of TCP/IP, common networking ports and protocols, traffic flow, system administration, OSI model, defense-in-depth and common security elements.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience analyzing high volumes of logs, network data (e.g. Netflow, Full Packet Capture), and other attack artifacts in support of incident investigations.
- In-depth knowledge of architecture, engineering, and operations of at least one enterprise SIEM platform (e.g. ArcSight, Splunk, Nitro/McAfee Enterprise Security Manager, QRadar, LogLogic).
- Experience and proficiency with any of the following: Anti-Virus, HIPS/HBSS, IDS/IPS, Full Packet Capture, Network Forensics.
- Experience with malware analysis concepts and methods.
- Unix/Linux command line experience.
- Scripting and programming experience.
- Motivated self-starter with strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to create complex technical reports on analytic findings.
- Familiarity or experience in Intelligence Driven Defense and/or Cyber Kill Chain methodology.
- Existing 8570 CND Analyst Certifications (CEH).
Benefits and Perks
- In addition to competitive wages, Newberry Group offers an outstanding benefit package. This includes medical coverage with two plan options (HDHP or PPO), dental and vision coverage, personal time off, paid holidays, telecommuting if available, retirement savings accounts (Pre Tax and Roth), flexible and dependent care savings accounts, life insurance, long and short-term disability coverage, tuition and training reimbursement, employee assistance program, and a generous rewards based wellness program.
The Newberry Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – EEO/AA/Disability/Veterans.
Newberry Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other legally protected status. All applicants must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States.